06 Oct Bee Talk
Honey Bee: Did you know?
- There are 20,000 species of bees worldwide, but only six main types are kept commercially
- 1/12 teaspoon is a the amount of honey a worker bee will produce during its short life
- In a single trip, a worker bee can visit up to 100 flowers and carry more than half its weight in pollen
- In order to produce 1lbs. of honey hive workers fly a collective 55,000 miles and tap 2,000,000 flowers
- The impact on bee pollination and our crops
Honey Bee Basic Terms
Workers – Duties include construction, storage, keeping the nursery, guarding, care taking, scouting and foraging. Life span is 20-30 days. All worker bees are female.
Drone – Mates with a virgin queen in midair. Can fly backward, rotate and flip, Dies after mating.
Queen – Lays up to 1,500 eggs a day, possibly more. Secretes pheromones to control workers within the hive. Life span is 3-7 years.
A hive typically comprises 40,000 – 70,000 bees. The colony creates a winter ecosystem inside the hive during winter and lives off honey, with the bees maintaining warmth by working their wings and clustering.